BBA MBA and PostGraduate UnderGraduate Management Courses

IIPM Provide Best BBA MBA and PostGraduate UnderGraduate Management Courses with Global Exposure and 100% Placement

Saturday, January 22, 2011

'I've been a target since 1992'

Delhi University Students' Union (DUSU): Students' Unions can not be banned

Communal tensions are on the rise in Kerala. A college professor in Muvattupuzha of Ernakulam district recently had his right wrist chopped off by religious zealots for preparing a question paper that had alleged defamatory references to the Prophet. As the Bangalore blast case sword hangs over Kerala People's Democratic Party (PDP) leader Abdul Nasser Madani, he tells TSI's T Satisan that he and his wife, Sufiya Madani, are victims of a conspiracy

Do you think the stand you took after your release from Coimbatore jail in 2007 was misplaced?

Not at all. I was never an extremist. I founded the Islamic Sevak Sangh (ISS) as a reaction to things that were happening in the country ' the Babri Masjid dispute, problems faced by Muslims and provocative speeches made by leaders like Uma Bharati. Naturally my speeches were hard-hitting. But I never amassed arms or explosives. Long incarceration gave me time for introspection. I came to the conclusion that Kerala has a particular atmosphere. During my imprisonment, Justice V.R. Krishna Iyer, Gro Vasu and Mukundan C. Menon came to my aid much earlier than Muslim leaders. Democratic methods are always more desirable. This is the conclusion I came to. I still believe in everything I told TSI in 2007.

Do you intend to propagate the philosophy that you formulated in jail?

I recently organised a Rashtra Suraksha Sandesh Yatra from Kasargod to Thiruvananthapuram. I addressed more than 120 public meetings. I propagated the message of the Quran. I put forward my own ideas too. I said not a single Muslim youth should become an extremist because the Quran does not permit it. If you study the Quran and Islam, you can never be an extremist, you can never blaspheme another religion.

What about the disclosures of Nazeer about the Bangalore blasts?

Nazeer had come to see me after my release. He discussed his extremist line with me. I insisted his line was wrong. I shouted at him and sent him back. He has however stated I had nothing to do with his extremist activities. If the police are still after me, it is because of somebody's hidden agenda.

You are also accused of involvement in the Kalamassery bus burning...

I was in a Tamil Nadu jail and the vehicle belonged to Tamil Nadu. Naturally Tamil newspapers gave wide coverage to the incident. Neither me nor Sufiya is involved in it.

Do you think that the 'Ponnani policy' during the last Lok Sabha elections was wrong?

Not at all. It was the right stand under those circumstances. The Left stance against imperialism, the nuclear deal, Israel's atrocities in Gaza, the Union government's pro-Israel policy, IB's politically motivated game plans, etc. drew us to the Left Front. I still believe it was a right decision. But, at the same time, it unified our opponents. The Left Front lost Ponnani not because the PDP link. Congress, Muslim League and BJP joined hands there.

CPM's politburo has stated that the PDP connection was wrong.

That's a wrong conclusion. PDP was not with them when they fought by-elections for three Assembly seats and several wards of the local bodies. They lost. It is the Left that owes us an explanation. It was routed in the 2009 LS Sabha elections. They got more votes in Ponnani due to us. They are going to fight the 2011 assembly elections sans an alliance with us. Let us see how they fare.

So you have no relations with the Left Front after the Lok Sabha polls?

A: That's right.

Why are you always targeted?

I have been a target since 1992. Conspiracies have been afoot against me. There was an attempt on my life. I lost my leg in a bomb blast. It was masterminded by local RSS men. I think they were tools in somebody's hands. I was made an accused in the Coimbatore blast case. I spent 10 years in jail. I was released when my innocence was established. The Hyderabad Mecca Masjid blast, Malegaon blasts and Samjhauta Express blast took place around that time. Abhinav Bharat and other Hindu outfits were accused. Then the conspirators thought that some cases should come up against Muslims by way of a balancing act. But Nazeer was a lightweight. So I was made a scapegoat in the Bangalore case. The same thing had happened in the Coimbatore case. First Me, without a leg, jailed for 10 years. When I was jailed I weighed 110 kg. When I was released I was 48 kg. Did you approach the court for compensation?

Many people gave me that advice. But I did not heed it. Things will be different in the future. After Bangalore it could be Kashmir. I will go to court for compensation if this happens again.

Your workers are not protesting as aggressively as they once used to?

I do not want them to give in to sentimental outbursts. Some others may even misuse the situation. Therefore, we do not go in for strong protests. But last week Kollam town witnessed the 'Madani Neethi Nishedha Vedi' (Forum to address the denial of justice to Madani) rally. More than 19 Muslim organisations participated in it. BSP representatives also were there. Former Human Rights Commission chairman Dr Balaram addressed the rally too. A similar rally will take place in Kochi soon. And, lot of people are taking turns to fast in protest. The mother of a young PDP worker advised him not to return home if 'Ustad' (followers address Madani as 'Ustad') is arrested. Another worker's child is in an ICU. He says, he won't go back home even if his child dies. All fasting workers are Hindus. July 21 onwards road marches will take place throughout Kerala.

Are the human rights activists still active as they used to be?

Justice. V.R. Krishna Iyer issued a statement against the denial of justice in my case. B.R.P. Bhaskar and Bhasurendra Babu are also there. Gro Vasu and Dr. M.S. Jayaprakash fasted here. But the media did not highlight it much.

How will you face the Bangalore case?

Legally. I will not challenge the court as Thackeray did. There will not be any 'human wall'.

In 2007, you had envisaged a movement with Muslims and Dalits. But now you talk only about Muslims.

I am a Muslim and my activities create an impact among Muslims. But my welfare schemes benefit all. My ambulance service is free for all Dalits. But Muslims have to pay for the fuel.

For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
IIPM BBA MBA Institute: Student Notice BoardRagging rights and wrongs
Arindam Chaudhuri: Movie time for Kapil Sibal
Indian universities and higher education institutes seem to be caught in a time warp teaching things
The hunt for hostel and paying guest (PG) accommodation for students

Labels: , ,

Rashmi Bansal Publisher of JAMMAG magazine caught red-handed, for details click on the following links.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home